The format for this web site is based on the first publication of the “Complete Official Road Guide of the Lincoln Highway”, (published by The Lincoln Highway Association, National Headquarters, Detroit, Michigan – copyrighted 1915)(1). This will include the mileage to and from the termini for the highway; the complete listing for all services, accommodations, population, pricing, and business concerns to be found for each location as of 1915.
There are a number of abbreviations and nomenclature found in the guidebook that are fairly easy to interpret; for example: Gas, 20c; Oil, 75c. Obviously, the “c” indicates the monetary term “cents”. Others were/are not as easy; these include:
Exp. Co. – Express Company. Similar to the modern-day Federal Express or United Parcel Service, there were independent companies that were contracted with the railroad companies for shipping goods from place to place.
Commercial Club. This is essentially the predecessor to the local Chamber of Commerce.
Storage. This was an indication of being able to park an automobile inside of a covered garage. Many vehicles of the day had no top, and inclement weather would be a concern.
A few other interesting items of note:
Some of the towns may have inaccuracies in the guidebook listing. These include population counts, newspapers, and number of general businesses in operation. A perfect example of such an inaccuracy is the town of Carbon. At least two sources indicate that this town was all but abandoned in 1902. The guidebook states the population as being 117. Another town with a similar discrepancy is Sherman, population 40. There may have been a blacksmith shop still in that location in 1915, but not much else. This town too, all but disappeared in 1900 when the rail line was moved three miles to the south. Keeping in perspective, however, these population numbers may be accurate if one takes into consideration the occupancy of the local graveyards, but certainly not the living.
The primary focus of this project is about the towns, rail stops, and places that were forgotten about when Interstate 80 was completed in 1970. It is also presented as the highway construction took place; with the Lincoln starting on the eastern side of the state and existing on the west; Interstate 80 was constructed from west to east.
I have made no effort to editorialize or correct any misspellings found within the guidebook, notations will be made where necessary.
1) “The Complete Official Road Guide of the Lincoln Highway”, (published by The Lincoln Highway Association, National Headquarters, Detroit, Michigan – copyrighted 1915) , Box 15, Folder Number 1, Payson W. Spaulding papers, 1886-1980, Collection Number 01803, American Heritage Center, University of Wyoming.